Temu, an online shopping site, seems to be omnipresent. You might have noticed its distinctive orange packages at your neighbor’s doorstep or stumbled upon an Instagram advertisement showcasing an incredibly adorable item.
Perhaps, you’ve been inundated with promotional codes from a social media influencer you follow. While you are aware of Temu’s existence, you may not be entirely sure what it offers. Allow us to clarify.
What is Temu?
Although Temu’s sudden emergence may have caught you off guard, it did not simply appear out of thin air. Since its Super Bowl commercial, which featured a catchy tune and factory workers resembling those from The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, there has been a constant reminder that we too can shop like billionaires with them.
However, the company’s origins date back to September 2022 when it initiated an onslaught of Facebook and Instagram advertisements.
How Do I Shop in Temu?
You can access Temu through its website, temu.com, or by downloading its free applications for Android and iOS devices.
To shop on Temu, you can follow these steps:
- Go to the Temu website or download the Temu app on your mobile device.
- Create an account by providing your email address and creating a password.
- Browse through the available products by category or use the search bar to find a specific item.
- Click on the product you want to buy to view its details, including the price, description, and images.
- Add the item to your shopping cart by clicking the “Add to Cart” button.
- Continue shopping or go to your cart to review your items and proceed to checkout.
- Enter your shipping address and payment information. They accept various payment methods, including credit/debit cards and PayPal.
- Review your order details, including the shipping method and estimated delivery date.
- Confirm your order and wait for your items to be shipped.
If you have any issues or questions while shopping on Temu, you can reach out to their customer support team for assistance.
Why Is Temu So Cheap?
Temu’s prices are undeniably jaw-droppingly low, to the point where they demand your attention and persuade you to fill your cart. It appears that Temu aims to entice shoppers as quickly as possible, even if it means selling products at a loss.
They may state on its website that it originated in Boston, but it is actually owned by PDD Holdings, a company with significant financial resources that recently relocated its official headquarters from China to Ireland.
This move enables the company to continue operating even if US regulatory scrutiny of China-based apps persists. By providing remarkably low prices and shipping products directly to customers, Temu circumvents tariffs and saves a considerable amount of money.
Of greater concern is the matter of coerced labor. A study conducted in 2022 revealed that They employed cotton sourced from the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region, where China has confined Uyghurs in detention centers.
Moreover, Temu, along with Adidas, Nike, and Shein, has recently received notices from a US House committee expressing concerns about their possible exploitation of forced labor from imprisoned Uyghurs.
Read Also: What Is Olympus DAO? All you need to know
Is Temu Scam or Legit?
Indeed, Temu is a legitimate e-commerce platform that provides customers with a wide range of products at competitive prices. The company collaborates with a network of reputable manufacturers and suppliers, guaranteeing that the products available on the platform are of high quality and originate from reliable sources.
This is a legitimate online shopping platform, but exercise caution when it comes to lightning deals that promise additional savings.
It has transformed its website into a game, featuring pop-ups with spinning wheels for discounts, tokens to accumulate, and countdown timers that create a sense of urgency to make purchases. These tactics are intended to encourage customers to buy products.
Furthermore, vendors on their platform frequently engage in design theft to avoid the cost of developing their own intellectual property.
But here are some things to look for when trying to identify a reliable e-commerce platform:
- Security: Look for signs that the platform takes security seriously, such as SSL encryption, two-factor authentication, and regular security updates.
- Payment options: A reliable e-commerce platform should offer multiple payment options, including credit cards, PayPal, and other popular payment methods.
- Customer support: The platform should offer responsive and helpful customer support, with multiple ways to contact them such as email, phone, and live chat.
- Reviews and ratings: Check out the platform’s reviews and ratings on third-party sites like Trustpilot, Google Reviews, and the Better Business Bureau to see what other customers are saying.
- Return policies: A reliable e-commerce platform should have clear and fair return policies, including options for refunds, exchanges, and warranties.
- Product quality: Check the platform’s product descriptions, images, and customer reviews to get an idea of the quality of the products being sold.
- Reputation: Research the platform’s reputation and history, including its track record with customer complaints and any legal issues it may have faced.
What Designs Do Temu Sellers Steal?
Too many to list, but one example is this mouthful of a product description: Gorgeous Vintage Dragonfly Zircon Pendant Necklace – Perfect Bohemian Jewelry for Women’s Holidays. The owner of the online shop Godly Nature’s Jewelry took to TikTok to complain that the e-commerce platform stole her Champaign Dragonfly Sunflower Necklace design and even her photos.
Does Temu Sell Legit Products?
While Temu offers a wide range of generic products, it also sells a considerable number of counterfeit items. Some of these products are clearly fake, such as the WNP’L lip balms that resemble but are not actually Vaseline Lip Therapy.
However, they are not the only retailer selling this product, as a quick Google search reveals that a third-party vendor on Walmart offers the same item.
In addition, they also feature blatant designer imitations, such as the Women’s Stylish Square Tote Bag, Trendy Design Quilted Shoulder Bag, and All-Match Bag, which is a shoddy copy (and most certainly a copyright infringement) of Telfar’s Small Puff Shopper.
What does Temu sell?
Instead of asking what they sell, a more appropriate question might be what it doesn’t sell. When browsing the e-commerce website or app, customers are greeted with a plethora of deals, ranging from running shoes for $17.48 to universal wrenches for $4.48 to talking toy hamsters for $6.99.
A banner boldly advertises discounts of up to 90% off retail prices, all thanks to a New Year’s sale. With such a remarkable selection of items and prices, the site has an aesthetic similar to a virtual dollar store.
How long does it take for an order on Temu to arrive?
It’s important to note that Temu’s delivery timeline is not as efficient as Amazon Prime’s two-day delivery service. According to the website, orders are typically shipped within seven to 15 days, but this isn’t always the case. If your order is delayed, you may receive credits for future orders as compensation.
Additionally, when you receive a notification regarding the delay, you’ll have the option to click a button that says “urge shipment.” However, it’s unclear whether this button has any real effect. Keep in mind that Temu is designed to be gamified. If your order isn’t shipped within 15 days, Temu claims it will issue a refund.
Does Temu Accept Returns?
Fortunately, Temu offers a return process for its products, and shipping is free if you return the item within 90 days of purchase. It’s important to note that the 90-day period begins from the date of purchase, not from the date you received the order.
How are people getting stuff for free on Temu?
While Temu’s prices are cheap, many new customers actually aren’t paying anything at all. That’s because they have launched a campaign on social media in which the more you convince others to sign up, the more credit you earn. This has enabled some people who have earned enough credit to receive home goods without even giving Temu their credit card information.
“It seems like they’re being subsidized to be a loss leader in order to gain market share, which is not unlike what Amazon did for a long time,” says Douglas Schmidt, a professor of computer science at Vanderbilt University.
Brianna Lukey, who lives in Fort Worth, Texas, says she’s received $200 worth of items from Temu for free. She first heard about the app from a friend a month ago, and was initially leery of it: “I know there’s a lot of things that go around that may not be legit,” she says. “But this was.”
Where is the Temu store located?
While Temu’s website lists Boston as its headquarters, the platform actually launched in the United States in September 2022 and is owned by PDD Holdings, which recently moved its official headquarters to Ireland from China. Their model allows China-based vendors to sell and ship their products directly to customers without relying on US-based warehouses.
Is Temu in the Uk?
According to recent local media reports, Temu, the budget shopping app owned by PDD Holdings and headquartered in Boston, is reportedly set to launch in the UK, just weeks after expanding to Australia and New Zealand. This launch will bring the total number of markets the app operates to five.
They also have plans to officially launch in the UK on March 25 and will exempt merchants on the platform from commissions and deposit fees, according to Chinese media outlet All Weather TMT.
What payment methods does Temu accept?
Temu accepts several payment methods, including credit and debit cards, PayPal, and Apple Pay. The specific payment methods may vary depending on your location.
Are there any restrictions on what I can sell in Temu?
Temu prohibits the sale of illegal and counterfeit items, as well as products that violate intellectual property rights, such as trademark infringement.
The platform also has policies against the sale of prohibited and regulated items, such as weapons, tobacco products, and drugs.
Additionally, they may have specific rules and regulations depending on the country or region where the seller and buyer are located. It’s best to check Temu’s seller guidelines and policies for a comprehensive list of restrictions.
How to contact Temu customer support
To contact Temu customer support, you can follow these steps:
- Open the app or website
- Click on the “Me” tab at the bottom of the screen
- Scroll down to find the “Help & Feedback” section
- Click on “Contact Customer Service”
- Choose the category that best describes your issue, such as “Order Issues” or “Account Issues”
- Select the specific issue you’re experiencing and follow the prompts to submit a request
- Alternatively, you can click on the “Online Chat” button in the “Help & Feedback” section to chat with a customer service representative in real time.
You can also contact their customer support by emailing their support team at email@example.com.